A lively, active and informal Children’s Church meets on the 4th Sunday of every month at 10.00am. Parents, grandparents and others are welcome. The session begins with prayer followed by teaching involving the children. Drama, singing, and visual aids are used to illustrate Bible stories. Crafts, cooking, making and sticking conclude the time together with the serving of refreshments. Each summer a children’s Bring and Share Picnic is held in the village.
Due to Covid-19, the Prayer group cannot currently meet.
Please continue to pray for those in our parish who are unwell, troubled, or recently bereaved.
The organ is a single manual with about eight stops and in spite of its small size is much liked by our team of organists.
The choir has about eight regular members and we practice on the Friday evenings before Matins (1st Sunday) and Evensong (4th Sunday). At these services we sing Psalm, Responses and Canticles. On 3rd Sundays we sing three parts of the Mass for Holy Communion, Common Worship. New members are always welcome and at Easter and Christmas the choir is augmented to about twenty for a festive anthem.
The 2nd Sunday of the month is a Family Service at which the St. Mary’s Family Orchestra plays. This is a growing band of instrumentalists, young and old, under the leadership of the Choirmaster, Gareth Williams.
St. Mary’s church bells are rung every Sunday before services as well as for weddings. The team of seven bell ringers practice each Monday evening at 7.00pm and are led by Tower Captain, John Barrett.
The bells were silent for many years but in November 1991 on the release of Terry Waite (the Archbishop of Canterbury’s envoy) who was held captive in Beirut for 4 years, a team of ringers from the village rang the bells to celebrate his release from captivity. This prompted St. Mary’s to reinstate a bell ringing team and the bells have rung ever since.
There are five different methods rung one of which was composed by a team member.
Three of the four bells are inscribed as follows:
W.R.W.P 1616 T.W.
Bryanus Eldridge, me ficit 1651
Bryanus Eldridge, me ficit 1657
The 4th bell was installed by the Revd. William Chandler Izard in the 19th century.
The church is always decorated with fresh flowers (except during Lent). If you would like to join the flower rota or help decorate the church at Easter, Harvest or Christmas then contact Dineen Olby on 01243 814226.
Twice yearly working parties take place, usually Saturday mornings, and a band of volunteers from the village (church goers and non-church goers) turn up to help tidy up.
Grass cutting is a challenge as it is necessary to mow round all the grave stones; there is a regular team who help out during the growing season which makes the church yard look so beautiful.
Slindon Church of England Primary School is a small rural school for up to 75 pupils which attracts children from within the village and surrounding area. The school is thriving and works closely with the parish church and the diocese. The Preist in Charge is a Foundation Governor.
The school aims to service its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith, and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers to all its pupils. The Church of England does not seek to educate only within the tenets of a particular faith but engages with all.
Whilst seeking to serve all in offering a broad, balanced curriculum it is also rooted in a firm belief that each person has spiritual needs that should be developed like other skills and gifts. Thus the Church of England, perhaps uniquely among ‘faith’ education providers, balances the concepts of the service of all human beings, with opportunities to nurture the spirituality of the pupils.
The school welcomes visits from prospective parents. Just ring the school on 01243 814330 to make an appointment.
Website address: www.slindonprimary.co.uk
The college is an independent day and boarding school providing specialist learning support for boys aged 11-18. It is located in the heart of the village in the former Slindon Manor and has extensive grounds.
The boys attend services at St Mary’s at different times during the year.
Website address: www.slindoncollege.co.uk